17 Great Reasons to Adopt From Ukraine – An Excellent Alternative To Russian Adoption
With Russia sadly closing its doors to American adoptive parents, the advantages of the Ukrainian Adoption Program should be highlighted. It is a unique program with many important safeguards for prospective parents.
I see 24,000 great reasons to consider Ukraine. That is how many Ukrainian children are available for international adoption, but here are 17 facts about Ukrainian adoption to help you in your considerations.
1. Ukraine is not Russia: Ukrainians welcome Western tourists, businesses and adoptive parents.
2. Older parents are welcome to adopt in Ukraine. There are no upper age limits for parents in Ukraine.
3. Ukrainian adoptions are closed and final. All birth parent rights have been terminated.
4. You choose your Ukrainian child, rather than being placed with a child by an agency.
5. Full medical history is provided for available children before you choose your child, and before you meet them.
6. You are only allowed to choose children that are legally available for adoption, and while you are in the process of visiting a child and deciding, that child is not offered to anyone else. There is no risk that your potential child may not be available for adoption, or would be adopted by someone else at the same time.
7. Ukrainian orphanages are clean and well maintained. The children are well cared for.
8. Ukrainian children are Caucasian.
9. Children adopted from Ukraine are allowed to keep dual citizenship.
10. Gradual transition during the in-country process maximizes parental bonding and attachment.
11. Ukrainian adoption is relatively inexpensive when compared to other adoption programs.
12. The entire Ukrainian adoption process usually takes less a year Business in Ukraine or less.
13. Adoptive parents are only required to take one trip to Ukraine.
14. You are legally allowed and outwardly encouraged to have an independent physician examine your future child.
15. Ukrainian adoption is final. No additional legal process is needed in the US. Your Ukrainian child becomes a US citizen as soon as they enter US airspace.
16. Children are 5 and older. You are able to see their personality, behavior and character. Younger children with special needs are available. Younger children are also available if a sibling older than 5 is adopted at the same time.
17. Adoption Services International has extensive experience making the process as smooth as possible, from the very beginning of your decision to adopt, through bringing your child home to the US.